Frequently Asked Questions

What Is the Compact?

The Compact deals with the challenges of military children and their frequent relocations. It allows for uniform treatment as military children transfer between school districts in member states.

Note: The Compact only applies to public schools.

What Happens After a State Joins the Compact?

Each state appoints representation to a governing commission responsible for enacting rules to implement the Compact. Each participating state also creates a state council based on the requirements of their state legislation.

Students Covered Under the Compact

Children of the following:

  • Active duty members of the uniformed services,  including members of the National Guard and  Reserve on active duty orders (Title 10)
  • Members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired for one year
  • Members who die on active duty, for a period  of one year after death
  • Uniformed members of the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and United States Public Health Services (USPHS)

Students Not Covered Under the Compact

Children of the following:

  • Inactive members of the National Guard and  Reserves (Not Title 10)
  • Members now retired not covered above
  • Veterans not covered above
  • Other Department of Defense personnel, federal agency civilians and contract employees not defined as active duty
  • Members other than the uniformed personnel  of NOAA and USPHS

What are some of the specific educational issues that the Compact covers?


  • Educational Records
  • Immunizations
  • Kindergarten & First Grade Entrance Age

Placement & Attendance

  • Course & Educational Program Placement
  • Special Education Services
  • Placement Flexibility
  • Absence Related to Deployment Activities


  • Eligibility for Student Enrollment
  • Eligibility for Extracurricular Participation


  • Waiving courses required for graduation if similar course work has been completed
  • Flexibility in accepting state exit or end-of- course exams, national achievement tests, or alternative testing in lieu of testing requirements for graduation in the receiving state
  • Allowing a student to receive a diploma from the sending school instead of the  receiving school

Who do I contact in my state or school district to learn more about what is and is not covered in the Compact?

Contact your State Compact Commissioner.  Contact information for each State Commissioner can be found at

Is there a person at military installations who can help me understand the Compact issues and requirements for local school districts?

Contact the School Liaison at your local installation. For a listing of School Liaisons in your area, visit the website at Military OneSource Military Installations.

What happens if the member state does not comply with the Compact?

The Compact provides a governance structure at both the state and national levels for enforcement and compliance.